So you’ve found the perfect house, but you can’t seem to get excited because you’re stressed about moving everything you’ve accumulated. Sound familiar?
If you’re among the thousands of people who’ve picked up and moved their family to a new home, in a new suburb, you know it is both exciting and overwhelming. Moving house is without a doubt a major upheaval, but it doesn’t have to be that way.
A good place to start is by understanding what you’re taking and what you’re leaving behind. Whether you’re downsizing, moving in with other people, or wanting to get rid of your old stuff and update to nicer versions, look at moving house as a way to only take the items you actually want or use.
We’ve looked at 30 other ways to make moving your family, pets and possessions easy for you. Let’s get started with tips to follow before your moving day.
Before your moving day
1. Confirm with the agent when you can pick up the keys to plan your moving day.
2. Talk to 2-3 different removalist companies to quote and compare prices.
3. Book in your removalist of choice according to your moving day – confirm 2 weeks before.
4. Research storage facilities if needed.
5. Redirect your mail and fill out a ‘Change of Address’ form at Australia Post.
6. Plan how you will move your pets and plants, if you have them.
7. Label all of your boxes by room and pre-plan where you will be putting all of your boxes as they get moved.
8. Buy any packing materials needed. E.g. Boxes, packing tap and bubble wrap.
9. Schedule in any house repairs that need to be done before you leave.
10. Contact your local council to arrange a special rubbish pick up if you need to get rid of a lot of stuff
11. Schedule disconnection of utilities at old home and connection at new home – phone, internet, water, electricity etc.
12. Change your contact details with various service providers – banks, insurance, gymnasium etc.
13. Register any pets with your new council.
14. Begin by packing all non-essential items.
15. Store all valuable items like paperwork, photos and jewellery in a safe place
16. Arrange a professional cleaner to clean your old house on moving day.
17. Arrange for a locksmith to change the locks on moving day.
18. Disassemble furniture that you don’t use everyday. E.g. desks and shelves.
19. Defrost your freezer and clean your fridge
20. Use up all perishable food.