Does it really matter where your windows and doors come from?
When choosing your window supplier its important to check a number of things –
- As with any product online reviews on independent websites will give you a good idea of the type of company you are dealing with.
- Check that the uPVC frame system they use is from a reputable company and designed for the high UV levels we experience in South Australia
- Check that the coloured foil they use designed for the high UV levels. Ask for proof.
- Is the window tested to the wind load and for the weather it will experience in its lifetime? This is important for coastal or exposed properties.
- Is the product tested to Australian standards?
- Is the glass made locally or imported? What happens if it breaks, how quickly can you get a replacement?
- What is the experience of the surveyor measuring up for your new windows, do they have a builders licence? What happens if they get it wrong?
- Does the company employ its installers? What is their experience?
If you can, try to choose a company that makes AND installs their own windows in South Australia, this can minimise any chance of problems arising later on. You might pay a few more dollars, but it will be worth it to have your new double glazed windows and doors custom made for your house locally.